This is the "Home" page of the "Research Assistant Resources" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Last Updated: Feb 8, 2013 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates

Home Print Page

Table of Contents

Research Databases - Learn about the many resources available from Wake Forest libraries!

Free Internet Resources - Available any time, anywhere - to anyone!

Interlibrary Loan - How to get what you need, when Wake Forest doesn't own it.

Tracking Your Research - Tools & tricks to keep track of what you've found!


Want More Training?

The PCL is planning to offer periodic training sessions throughout the school year. Please let us know if you run into a resource you'd like more training on, and we'll do our best to accomodate requests!


Working as a Research Assistant


Each Law Professor is assigned a Library Liaison, a research librarian who is designated as that professor's "single point of contact" with the library. As a research assistant, you may need more in depth assistance than most law students. Ask your professor who their library liaison is (or check this list), and feel free to contact the liaison. We're happy to help - at the beginning of a project, when you don't know where to go, or when you get stuck. Contact information is available on the Library's Staff Directory.

Research Projects

You may be assigned to work on a lot of little projects or individual tasks, or you may be assigned one larger scale project at a time. It's a good idea to take good notes when you and your professor are discussing the scope of your project. Just like with any research, make sure you know what you're expected to deliver and when. Tips for tracking, communicating and sharing your research are available on the Tracking Your Research tab of this guide.

Checking out Materials for your Professor

We ask professors to let the library know who their RAs are each semester, so we can allow you to check materials out on their behalf. This will make sure that they get the extended loan time (a year, instead of a month) and if there's a problem we know to contact them - rather than you! As an RA, you have access to a copy card, so your account doesn't get charged when you're making copies on behalf of your professor. Just ask at the Circulation Desk.

Getting Materials from ZSR

You have full access to the Z. Smith Reynolds library, including checking material out in your own name. If your professor wants you to be able to check material out under their name (and the extended loan period of a year, instead of a month), please have them contact Mary Beth Lock, Head of Access Services at x6140. Scanners and copiers are also available at ZSR, just like they are at the PCL. If you have trouble with the scanners, please ask at the Circulation Desk or Reference Desk.

If your professor would rather, you can contact their library liaison to retrieve books from ZSR, as well.

Getting Materials from Other Libraries

Don't worry if your research turns up something that neither the PCL nor ZSR has. We can usually borrow materials from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan. We'll just need some basic information about the item, and we'll do the rest! If it's a book, we'll let you know when it arrives; if it's an article, we'll usually email it to you.

Just Ask...

Profile Image
Kate Irwin-Smiler
Contact Info
Rm 2201E
Send Email
Where do you work in the library?
I work in the Reference Department, which means it's my job to help students, faculty, staff and the public with research questions.

My Profile

Profile Image
Sally Irvin
Contact Info
Associate Director Faculty & Technology Services
Adjunct Professor of Law
Professional Center Library
Room 1211
Send Email

Loading  Loading...